Sunday, March 6

All My Love, New Orleans

It's Sunday, Y'all! 

Today's blog is devoted to New Orleans. The city I first visited just 6 months post- Katrina. The only city where I could eat my way around and never have enough. The city where live jazz music floats through the air. Where the soul of its residents never fails. And every day is reason for a party.

My very first trip to NOLA as we lovingly call it, was for the city's annual Jazz & Blues Festival. Forget that Hurricane Katrina attempted to devastate the city, and that more than half its residents no longer would come back, the people of New Orleans carried on. And so it went, Jazz Fest 2005. I ate foods I've never had before, such as "craw-dads", crawfish etouffe, andouille sausage, authentic po'boys, Abita, Zapps, and the list goes on and on. I could write a book on the foods in the Crescent City ((but, plenty of others have and are more equipped to do so!))
My girls and I explored Uptown, Midtown, the French Market, Magazine Street and the Garden District to name a few.
Undoubtedly, I would return.
Come 2006, my very first Mardi Gras in NOLA. Such a fabulous time, and was so thrilled to see that there are places ((plenty)) in NOLA to enjoy a wholesome Mardi Gras parade. Where children sit atop ladders in wooden boxes to catch beads from local krewes and their floats. Where you campout, as if a tailgate, for a day or so to get a good spot, near a good restaurant, and where you have access to a bathroom! :)

If you had told me, 5 years ago that I would have been to that city more than a dozen times, and on the most recent trip, met the Love of My Life, I'd have believed it. The Joie de vivre ((zest for life)) is truly contagious. New Orleans ((and its blessed humidity)) sticks to you.

Naturally, every year, after the Ephiphany and before Ash Wednesday, Carnival is celebrated around the world. The Tuesday before Ash Wednesday is so lovingly known as "Fat Tuesday", and of course, this is when this little Bean gets to cookin' her favorite food. Bring out the cast iron skillet, the stockpot, ingredients ranging from Andouille Smoked Sausage to the "Holy Trinity" of Cajun cooking ((onions, green peppers + celery)). Its time to make gumbo, dirty rice 'n beans, and invite over friends to wear authentic Mardi Gras parade-caught beads and share the love for NOLA.

This year, I'm doing it low-key. Due to recent hectic work schedules I am disappointed to say, I am not hosting my annual Fat Tuesday Dinner party. It will just be Prince Ry and myself. And the d-o-g. In true Southern fashion, we're still going all out in the way of food preparations. Although I did cheat this year and buy my King Cake, which in the past I've made. Next year, we'll do it up big. So be prepared to get your green, gold and purple invites in the mail next February. I won't let you down! :)

xoxo
B

2 comments:

  1. I wanna go sooo bad! I have never been to New Orleans :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. we will all go one year! :) maybe this summer? for a weekend?

    ReplyDelete