Friday, September 3

Twelve Little Girls

As a child of about 1 and 1/2 years old, my parents put a book in my hands. As I got older, we would read together or take turns. Each night with my father, I got to pick out a book to read for bedtime. There was my collection of 80+ Bernstein Bear books, Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes, Dragon Tales, and my repeated favorite: Collection of Madeline / Mad About Madeline stories all in one large hardcover book. Those were just the favorites.

While I was reading through an article by a fellow blogger this week, and she posed these questions:
What childhood books do you visit again and again? 
Which heroines taught you what kind of woman you want to be?

I would have to vote "Madeline" on this answer. She wasn't necessarily a heroine, but a small, French girl who attended a boarding school / convent in Paris. Perhaps from the sketched illustrations of Parisian scenes, my love for all things fleur-de-lis, Parisian and chic, evolved. 
Madeline lived in a world of structure, in "two straight lines" ... the youngest (and also, smallest), and created a tad bit of excitement over, well, anything! :) 
The proper dress and stature of these twelve little girls, their wide brimmed hats and impeccably pressed dresses, are timeless and elegant, even at a young age. Paris women know style, and I bet they always have! So, although not a heroine, Madeline certainly would be my childhood character of choice.  



xoxo & have a fabulous weekend 

b

No comments:

Post a Comment