Thursday, August 25

It's A Calling

                       There's a joke around my organization's office that goes something like this ...

We're not in this business to get rich. This is a calling.

To some people, that may sound harsh. 
To others, you may question "Well, why bother working there??"
And in the type of get-rich-quick / convenience first / "me first" society that we tend to live in, I can't blame people for thinking that way. 

But, a job in a non-profit that benefits children who cannot help themselves, has been a "dream job" in my heart for over 5 years. Sure, I still want to one day be a full-fledged social/special events gal, or own a fun bakery+boutique, or open my own Pilates studio, but when it comes to where I wanted to be at this point in my life, I have landed. And thank the Lord above, I am loving it.

And I'm not writing about how much I love my job to convince myself or anyone else, but rather to count my blessings on where God has put me and the purpose that I'm serving. I was amazed at how instantly my teammate "Miss M" and I connected with each other. Our personalities are similar, our backgrounds are totally different, and we both rely on God! All that from the first full day I was at work. She hugged me and said "You know, I just had this feeling in my heart that you were the right person to be here with us". I jokingly said "Well, that's because I told God to handle this interview and job transition" ... and well, He did. And I'm ever so grateful for it! 


As I sit at my desk, not working directly with "our" children, I see the tasks piling higher and higher. The 18 emails that roll in during a 20 minute break. The constant meetings. 
....Just then, a happy little laugh resounds through the halls, as a child is on their way to see a clinical counselor or one of our M.D.'s. Or a cry of a child who is upset and confused, here for the first time getting the help they really need - and I'm suddenly reminded why I'm here.
My love for children and my heart to help them has brought me here. And when the days get long, the tasks become arduous, and when I want to say "just make it happen!!" without any effort on my part - all I have to do is see the face of any of the children or teens in our program and I'm instantly grateful for my life, my family, and all that has been provided to me. And I know that I'm raising the money and putting on the special events so that hopefully one day these kids can be grateful for the same things that I am.

This certainly isn't a preaching message. Nor is it meant to make you go out and adopt a bajillion children.
But do give thanks for the things you have, and consider the others in the world who have much less. We shouldn't just think of these children and families when they're "Angels on a Tree" in December, but year-round, while they're doing their best to survive. I encourage everyone to volunteer with some organization that fills your heart with joy. 

xoxo
B

No comments:

Post a Comment