Sunday, July 10

Come Sit a Spell

Hey Y'all!
Hope the weekend has been kind to you ~ I'm sweltering among the July heat + humidity here, but so is everyone else these days!

Thankfully I've had air conditioned entertainment while reading a few great books - so far, I've Laughed Out Loud at improv-comedian Tina Fey in her book "BossyPants" {which I might add, I finished in 24 hours}, as well as some good ol' Southern humor with "Suck Your Stomach In & Put on Some Color: What Southern Mama's Tell Their Daughters, that the rest of y'all should know" {Shellie Rushing Tomlinson} Sure, these books are "chik lit" & completely non-informative, but they make me laugh, and that's a good thing these days! I'm also getting in deeper to "Traveling with Pomegranates" { Sue Monk Kidd - favorite Southern author} which is an inspiring story of a mother & daughter traveling together more as friends and less as parent/child. It was on my "Big List" of things to do & read for the remainder of 2011. I've added pictures of the book covers, because if you're a visual person like me, you'll go into a bookstore looking for it by color, and less by author ;)



Now, back to sitting a spell - we're talking chairs today!
I know last time I shared my "rescue mission" dresser & what a little mess she is! Today I wanted to throw a few ideas out there for a couple of sweet chairs that I have collected in the past few years. The first one, is a native North Carolina chair, made from Henredon and was a steal at $15!! The man in the antique shop said "eh she needs work" and I said "well, want to sell it to me? I'll do the work" so - I got her for cheap when he was hoping to fix & sell for $65. Score #1!
    
 Next up is a little un-marked chair, cane seat and nice carving detail on the back. I haven't a clue where she came from originally, just that I bought her at Patty & Friends in St. Petersburg a few years ago. She complimented a sweet desk from the late 1800s {that I recently had to part with}. So, the "vision" here for these chairs, is to make a statement in a room.

I'm thinking for the Henredon cane back armchair, I want a colored neutral {shh yes there's such a thing!} like a misty grey blue, or a beautiful milk colored cream. {Annie Sloan is the dream paint ... Momma & I are working on locating some around here!} If A.S. is the paint I go with, I'll probably choose Old Ochre, it tends to have grey undertones but comes out a creamy white. Or, if I change my mind and go with a grey-blue, Annie Sloan of course, it will be Paris Grey. >Sidenote< I really like the look of leaving the cane its natural color, which I will probably be do on both chairs.


Now Fairy Chair-mother: If I could snap my fingers & have a new arm chair with the cane back, it would be this little doll:
http://decordpad.com
Of course, what doesn't look sweet when it's in pink, white creamy paint, with a cute antique silver pitcher of peonies next to it?? 

http://decorpad.com
Also, really loving the geometric fabric used on this handsome chair. It's more minimalist than what I've liked in the past but I'm feeling more "vintage minimalist" these days!








 Either way, fabric choices right now are super limited. I'm confused as to which colors I want to use, and if I can't find 4-5 coordinating fabrics all at once, then I'm just not comfortable being "stuck" with 1 fabric & having to mis-match and piece the others together! Anyone ever ordered fabric online? I've found 1 website that I may have to order from, we'll see! Let me know if you have any luck with online fabric ordering!

Well, that's about all I have for now. A bit shuffled and random today, but it's Sunday afternoon & raining, and well, I just should probably take a nap!

xo
b

2 comments:

  1. I may have to pick up that Kidd book...I've taken to reading Nora Roberts already this summer - haaa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue Monk's book is amazing - I fly through all of her books :) Happy Summer Reading to you!

    ReplyDelete