Monday, July 25

Painting Day 2

Hey Y'all!

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! I spent the evening {once the sun went down + it was no longer 107 with the heat index} painting the entertainment center / dresser.

Now since the white latex paint it was previously done with is peeling off in chunks, this hasn't exactly made my job easier. After going at the top with the mouse sander, and the drawers {the 2 that will stay} with a block sander by hand, I realized it was going to require some Kilz primer to cover up whatever wretchedness had happened to the top of this dresser. We're talking, orange paint, globs of paint running down the edges, puddles of glue stuck to it - so with sanding tools, hammer and screw driver, Momma showed me how to gently "knock off" the globs of randomness stuck to this piece. Last night I took the tack cloth to it and began to prime the top, and painted 1 coat of Benjamin Moore "Horizon' on to the drawers. It's a beautiful clean finish paint, but it's a bit too close to white for what my minds-eye had in mind. So, off I go to the paint store today to get it darkened up a bit.


Figured I would share with you a fun little craft that Momma and I also did on Friday - the $4 pillow.
Get ready - it's as cute as a West Elm or PotteryBarn one!
  1. Buy or round up some mis-matched buttons
  2. Use a pillow you have {we found ours for $1.50 @ a thrift store & since no one will be laying their head on it, we figured it would work!} 
  3. Satin ribbon, approximately 12'' {left over from a headband I made}
  4. Scrap of fabric that coordinates, approx. 12" {we used linen scrap}
  5. Needle & thread
  • Line up all your buttons on the ribbon ... we like the randomized look best

  • Attach each button to the ribbon first, then sew the ribbon to the fabric scrap in 3 places, to keep it secure 

  • Once finished, put in your favorite chair or bench. Ours is going in the old church pew that mom has out in the breakfast nook. By the way, we lint-rolled and Febreezed this pillow, and it's solely for decoration. :) 





Happy Monday! 
xo
B

3 comments:

  1. The pillow is very cute. I have tons of mis-matched buttons I could use for that. Love the church pew too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Pam! I love House of Hawthornes :) enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pillow is so adorable.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete