Sunday, July 31

Project Weekend Re-cap

Hey Y'all! 
I hope the weekend was kind to you! We had a really busy weekend around here ... complete with my sweet cousin / "older sister" & her baby boy in town to visit, surprise early birthday gift for Momma, antiquing & decor shopping with Momma & the sister, as well as lots of painting and DIY'ing on my 2 current projects.
Man - I'm tired just thinking about it all!

Vintage Staple Gun, circa 1970s
I wanted to share with you my "Chair Redo" ... as I mentioned a few posts back, this little chair came from a thrift store over near Clearwater - snagged her for $15 & knew she had potential. In the past few years she had been recovered in whatever my living room decor was at the time, and most recently, she needed to become neutral to go with a new color palette. After much deliberation over paint colors, I went with Sleighbells by Benjamin Moore. You can't tell much in the photos but it is a very very light grey. Painstakingly I hand painted her, as spray paint would have just beaded up / run down the sides. Then it was to the details with a tiny artists brush. On the rest, I used a 1& 1/2 inch brush of nicer quality {to avoid streak marks}. 
Painters Drop Cloth
The seat was recovered in a $5.99 painters drop  cloth from a home improvement store. You can do so much with these drop cloths, this was just my first experiment with them! 
The hardest part of this whole project, was knowing that I needed to find the right tangerine/orange colored fabric for the pillow, which will be the "pop" of color in my living room {when I move in to my new place in a couple of weeks}. Thanks to Hobby Lobby, this fabric works!! I didn't make the pillow yet, I just sort of draped the fabric over another pillow to give you the illusion of it all together :) 
Chair Re-Do


Well, as I mentioned, we did a lot this weekend... Momma is re-doing her breakfast nook / piano student "waiting area" & now that the walls are primed, we scored big at Homegoods and a few antique stores with the Sister on Friday. Here's a sneak peek at some of the decorations. The door is from an old governor's vacation house, and the sign, which I found - is a perfect addition for the room which we eat in and serves as a waiting area for her piano students. I'll be sure to post photos when it's all put together! 
Preview, Antique Door & Sign

 The dresser-turned-entertainment center is well on its way to becoming what I envisioned. Last night I began to sweep out the ... vermin droppings ... {aka - roach poopie} when all of a sudden, I see little brown antennae in the back of the dresser. I dropped the shopvac and screamed, which is when Step-dad jumped in with the can of Raid and out fell 4 roaches. UGH! I was sooo glad I didn't take this piece inside the house to work on, I'd have had a coniption fit~ once they died, we puttied up one corner of the dresser and bunjee corded it to stay til it dried. Momma helped me to get 1 coat on the dresser in Sleighbells, and we are painfully painting the insides of the drawer slots, since I *Finally* found baskets large enough {but yet, smaller than 6" tall} to fit where we've removed the drawers. I'll be sure to add photos of our progress later. 
Baskets From Old Time Pottery

Well it's time for me to be off ~ tomorrow I'll be able to share some of the dresser, a preview of Momma's early birthday surprise, and a few other goodies. Enjoy the day! 

xo 
B

2 comments:

  1. its been a busy but productive few days! Fun tho!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, girl! The chair looks fabulous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete