Thursday, July 7

Rainy Weather Treasures

Hey Ya'll! 

I haven't blogged in too long, but finally, I have something worthy of sharing.
This past week was full of "house chores" that didn't need to be done asap, but just the mundane junk you just don't like to do. {dust all the wood furniture, wash the baseboards, hand-mop the marble floors, etc.} So I was all aboard the productivity train, and while I was at it, made a haul down to Goodwill of some remnants from my move recently. Whatever had not sold at the last yard sale, was a gone'r. I was tired of looking at it and I'm not about to sit outside and scorch for 3 hours on a Saturday again. I was happy with the $97 I made the first round!
So, packed up the car and front seat and took it all to my neighborhood Goodwill.
On my way out of the back building / parking lot, I drove past a dresser that was left for ruin, by a dumpster. But not actually close enough to it, to warrant the trashmen to "take me!"
Well, the treasure hunter in me pulls the car to a stop, I hop out and go to examine the front of this little gem.
Boy was she cute, a man's chest, all drawers, and about 6 feet long. Cute square legs, seeemingly in good condition. And solid, HEAVY wood!
Well, my little Accord just couldn't accommodate her, so I figured better left there.
But then, I dreamed about her.
Seriously y'all.
Some people dream about their Prince Charming coming to rescue them one day.
Not me. I dream about decorating gorgeous homes of mine, and refinishing furniture and designing parties. Honest to goodness! Sometimes you just can't turn off the creative switch. Call me crazy.
Benjamin Moore Favorite Neutrals
So, I dreamt about this dresser. All alone in the parking lot, and I saw potential in her. In my future home, in a misty color, like a blue-grey or a very pale misty green.
Well, I do have a truck sitting in my drive. But I couldn't get her in the bed of my truck without some help.

So, Momma Bear and Larry come home tonight from Chattanooga, and I tell mom about my "treasure".
She, a junker and antique fanatic like me {hey- it's hereditary!} said "Grab the truck keys and let's go see".
It had rained all day and that was 2 nights ago, surely it would be gone.
But, I shrieked when we pulled in to the parking lot and she was still there. Poor, alone, and now soaking wet. Thankfully her paint was oil-based and so the wood hadn't rippled or become soggy.
Drawers Removed & Shelf To Come Out For Baskets
Sweet Legs!
Middle Door Hides 3  Drawers
Mom and I loaded her into the bed of the truck and brought her home. Thankfully, my previous Goodwill run had cleared out a spot just her size, in the garage. Ta-daaa! Larry wasn't so thrilled, but she was free. And I will fix her up, give her new life, and if I don't fall in love with her by then, I'll put it on Craigslist and get $80 for it! So, she needs a bit of a face lift, I want to remove 2 of the drawers and make room for baskets ... actually 4 of the drawers, and put baskets in on each side {symmetry, please}. Then I am going to find some cute glass knobs for her drawer pulls. The center "cabinet door" hides 3 drawers inside. I'm envisioning it as more of an entertainment center with a TV on top and dvd's in the baskets, then the drawers for the Wii and board games and such. Or maybe she'll find a home in my future dining room. Would make a cute buffet. But then we'd have to see if it could hold all of my china and miscellaneous glass pieces. Hmm.. either way, I know it would be fun to fix it up and sell it, but I'm not sure I'll be able to part after all the quality time we'll have spent makin' her perdy!

So, the photos here are of my new lovely treasure. Bear with us, she'll get a face lift soon!

Enjoy your weekend and live beautifully! 

xo 
 b

2 comments:

  1. britts, u are so cute. :) lol -shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have good reason to come junkin' up in Pawleys / Johns Island soon, right?!

    ReplyDelete